While it is always our goal at Thomas Family Dentistry to help you keep your natural teeth for a lifetime, there are certain circumstances in which it may be necessary to extract a tooth to protect your oral health.
Your Seymour dentists want you to know that we are here to guide you through the extraction every step of the way, and your comfort is always our top priority. For complex extractions, we work closely with a top oral surgeon located right next to our office for your convenience.
Why Do I Need My Tooth Extracted?
There are a few situations that require the removal of a tooth, such as:
- Deep decay and infection: A tooth that has been compromised by deep decay may become infected. If the damage is beyond what root canal therapy can preserve, the tooth will need to be extracted to protect the neighboring teeth.
- Periodontal disease: Also known as gum disease, periodontal disease destroys the bone and soft tissues that support your teeth. Periodontitis, or advanced gum disease, can result in tooth loss if its left untreated.
- Trauma or injury: A tooth that is injured or traumatized beyond what root canal therapy can save may require extraction.
- Orthodontic treatment: It may be recommended to remove some teeth before starting orthodontic treatment for patients with severe crowding. In this case, extractions can often make orthodontic treatment easier and more efficient.
Also called third molars, wisdom teeth are the last set of molars to arrive, typically between the ages of 18 to 25 years old. These teeth come in behind the second molars at the very back of your mouth. We typically recommend extracting wisdom teeth for a few reasons:
- There’s not enough room in your mouth, and they begin to crowd other teeth.
- They come in at odd angles that are detrimental to the health of neighboring teeth.
- They are hard to properly brush and floss due to their location, which increases your risk of developing issues such as gum disease, tooth decay, and cavities.
- They remain impacted or stuck beneath the gum line, which could result in an infection.
The Extraction Process
We make sure that your tooth extraction goes as smoothly as possible by using a local anesthetic to ensure that you’re entirely numb and don’t feel a thing during your procedure. Drs. Gealon and Ben Thomas are both very gentle, as well as highly experienced, so the process is efficient and comfortable for patients.
We will also guide you through the recovery process with complete instructions on post-operative care that will help make your recovery smooth and pain-free.
If you need a tooth removed, don’t delay your treatment. Contact Thomas Family Dentistry today to learn more about how we can help you.